Vice President of Business Affairs
Who We Are
Founded in 1999, IDWP is one of the top four publishers of comic books and graphic novels in the U.S with an award-winning library of world-renowned licensed content and original series. More than 80 IDWP titles have appeared on The New York Times Best Sellers list, and have won 48 Eisner Awards, the highest honor in comic book publishing, and 27 Harvey Awards.
IDWP publishes some of the most successful and popular titles in the industry, including Lucasfilm’s Star Wars, Hasbro’s Transformers, G.I. Joe, and My Little Pony; ViacomCBS’s Star Trek; Nickelodeon’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles; SEGA’s Sonic The Hedgehog; Disney’s Classic Characters; Marvel Comics’ Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, and Avengers; and many more.
IDW Entertainment (IDWE) develops, finances, produces, and distributes creative, diversified and targeted entertainment content ranging from sister company IDW Publishing’s extensive IP catalog of comic books and graphic novels. Since 2013, IDWE has successfully delivered three seasons of the critically-acclaimed Wynonna Earp, and the Netflix series adaptations of the popular comic book Locke & Key by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodríguez and show run by Carlton Cuse, V-Wars starring Ian Somerhalder, and October Faction.
IDW seeks an experienced business and legal affairs executive with strong negotiation skills to lead business affairs across IDW Publishing and IDW Entertainment divisions. This position requires a team player and business-minded executive who possesses good judgment, strong interpersonal skills, and a desire to thrive in an evolving environment.
This highly visible role will report to the heads of Publishing and Entertainment. The VP, Business and Legal Affairs will be seen as a strategic partner to creative executives and will provide ongoing senior legal and business affairs cousel during development and production of IP and entertainment, and advise and work closely with colleagues in Publishing, Development, Production, Creative Affairs, Finance, Marketing, Sales, and Distribution.
- Structure, negotiate, document, and manage deals across publishing and entertainment
- Contribute to the expansion and long-term value of the IDW IP library through savvy and innovative deal-making
- Collaborate with executives across the organization to ensure business strategy alignment
- Manage outside console and liaise with talent agency attorneys
- Partner with heads of division to provide deal negotiation support for licensed partnerships and new content partnerships
- Work with outside studios to craft entertainment partnerships that position company to access studio economics.
- Manage various contractual aspects of the rights to the IDW catalog, and any other catalog acquisitions, including publishing, media, and sublicensing.
- Advise senior-level executives and other teams under conditions of uncertainty, high-pressure and/or high-risk through strategic thinking and firm decision making.
- In collaboration with the heads of publishing and entertainment, foster deep relationships with talent and forge a robust creative community to encourage current and future partnerships
- Partner with business executives to discuss and implement best practices and formulate new processes and forms in connection with business needs.
- Develop and maintain relationships with agencies, law firms, studios, production companies and other relevant industry contacts.
- Minimum 8+ year’s professional experience at a major law firm
- Must have media experience, including significant transactional work in-house at a studio or large production company.
- Must have publishing and media rights experience
- Licensed Attorney in the State of California / Juris Doctorate (JD)
- Comprehensive knowledge of entertainment and intellectual property law, as well as a high-level proficiency of legal analysis and reasoning.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally with a range of personalities and styles across all levels within an organization.
- Collaborative work ethic, sound, and ethical judgment.
- Ability to adapt rapidly in a fast-moving environment with evolving priorities, handle ambiguity, and react gracefully under pressure.
- Working knowledge of guild and union regulations (SAG-AFTRA, WGA, DGA and IATSE.) Strong professional relationships with talent representatives, agencies, and business/legal affairs executives.
- Robust understanding of multi-platform distribution of content and evolving new media business models.
- To apply, please visit our career center at: http://idw.pub/CareerCenter