Who We Are
IDW Media Holdings (IDWMH) is a public company with the following divisions: • IDW Publishing (IDWP), a publishing company that creates comic books, graphic novels, digital content, and games through its imprints IDW Publishing, IDW Games, and Top Shelf; • IDW Entertainment (IDWE), a company that leverages properties, principally those of IDW Publishing, into television series—developing, producing and distributing original content worldwide;
Group Editor manages the development, scheduling, coordination, and production of several comic-book series. This position works closely with many departments within the company, licensors, and creative teams to produce publications on time and with accuracy. Therefore, solid communication (both written and verbal), multi-tasking, and organizational skills are critical to success.
- Oversight and coordination of multiple related titles.
- Close coordination with licensors.
- Management of editorial staff and oversight of their titles.
- Manage 6-8 comic-book titles per month including but not limited to:
- Developing story ideas and proposals with writers, hire creative teams and work with teams to ensure deadlines are consistently met.
- Ensuring licensor and/or creator approval at all stages, including proposal, script, cover art, solicitation copy, line art, color art, and final lettered proofs.
- Manage all other tasks associated with producing titles that meet the approval of creators and licensors and preparing titles for printing.
- Act as the main point of contact for major licensors, dealing with multi-year planning, relationships, problem-solving, and day-to-day approvals.
- Attend regular production meetings, weekly Editorial meetings and maintain constant status updates of all your projects.
- Develop new titles and new talent.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with licensors, creators, retailers, press, and co-workers.
- Establish and implement systems for departmental workflow.
- Train and supervise junior editorial staff in best practices to ensure content is on-brand and consistent in terms of style, quality, and tone.
- Brainstorm with the Editorial group on new directions or creators for existing licensed books, new creator-owned titles, and potential new licenses to pursue.
- Attend the Originals Meeting to help vet creative proposals and available properties.
- Leverage market knowledge and industry relationships to identify and develop new projects and business opportunities.
- Work closely with the Marketing and Sales departments.
- Assist Marketing with mapping out creative direction and strategy for all titles under your supervision.
- Provide marketing materials
- Maintain relationship with book distributor.
- Prepare monthly comic-book solicitations and cover images for your titles and review those of your team as well.
- Other duties as needed.
- BA in Journalism, English, Writing, Art, Design, or related field.
- Demonstrated level of literacy and competency.
- Experience managing style and method of standards for creative products.
- 6-10 years of experience working in an Editorial department.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to multitask.
- Strong knowledge of and passion for comics and the entertainment industry.
- Project management skills to manage editorial schedules and deadlines.
- Personnel management skills and ability to manage an editorial staff.
- Thorough knowledge of the story development process.
- Ability to lead and inspire large teams of creative personnel to achieve publishing goals.
- Comfortable with acting as the company’s spokesperson and advocate in media appearances, interviews, sales calls, trade shows, etc.
- Experience with print publishing.
- Strong problem-solving capabilities.
- A willingness to embrace change and adapt to strategies on the fly.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Superior line- and copy-editing skills.
- Strong Mac skills, including Word, Excel, Keynote/PowerPoint, Google Suite, and Photoshop Elements; experience with project management software, such as Asana, is a plus.
- To apply, please visit our career center at: http://idw.pub/CareerCenter