Director of Development and Production, Animation
IDW Entertainment, the entertainment division of IDW, seeks an experienced executive to oversee development and production of a growing slate of animation programming based on graphic novels, prose, and other source material. The Director of Development and Production, Animation will work with executives and studio partners to develop, package, and sell series and features for streaming, cable, broadcast networks and other platforms. The ideal candidate will have a history of successfully developing TV series and features from IP into animation, possess strong agency relationships, and have a deep network of top-tier writers and artists.
- Minimum of 7 years of developing premium creative content with a proven track record of developing, producing and selling animated projects.
- Extensive experience adapting prose, graphic novels, comic books, and other sources of IP into television, film and other mediums.
- Thorough understanding of 2D and 3D production pipeline from development to post- production to release.
- Strong relationships with animation showrunners, writers, producers, studios, agencies and management companies.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally with a range of personalities and styles across all levels within an organization.
- Passion for animation and instinct for stories and visuals that will capture consumers’ attention.
- Strategic thinker and tactical executor with a problem-solving approach and strong work ethic.
- Ability to adapt in a fast-moving environment with evolving priorities and to react to changes quickly, intelligently and gracefully.
- Self-motivated, passionate and able to work well in a team as well as independently.
- Detail-oriented, organized, adept at prioritizing tasks, and able to handle ambiguity.
- Experience collaborating with merchandise, marketing, social media and creative affairs to build franchises.
- Work with President and Vice President, Kids & Animation to build creative and production strategy for growth of original animation content.
- Run point on a slate of animation programming based on original graphic novel, prose and comic book IP.
- Develop new projects across kids and adult animation, including identifying and packaging new talent for projects in development.
- Maintain and foster relationships with management companies and talent agencies to be able to introduce new writers, artists and directors to the company with the potential for future development.
- Work with VP, Kids & Animation to give creative guidance and feedback on respective projects to writers and showrunners on outlines, scripts, animatics, character designs, casting, dailies and cuts.
- Communicate effectively with studio leadership to surface issues as needed.
- Collaborate with other development executives on projects and work in a team setting to support and improve all projects in development.
- Leverage existing relationships at broadcast and cable networks, their parent companies, and emerging digital distribution platforms to support the sales process.
- Partner with creative affairs, legal, marketing, and public relations team members at various stages of development and production to ensure success of overall project goals.
- Attend relevant programming festivals, events and conventions as needed.
- Role is Los Angeles-based.
- Please send resumes and cover letters to: email@example.com with “Director of Development and Production, Animation” in the subject line.